Click on the image to see the post on the Chorus website.
You’ve started decluttering! Hurray! And you have a Thing in your hand, or in your sights…
What now? How do you decide to toss or keep?
I’ve whipped up a Really Short Checklist (got to love checklists!) that you can apply to any item that is difficult to make a decision about.
All questions apply to you AND all family members:
- Is it broken, chipped, stained, have a hole in it, is it worn out or just grotty?
- Would I (or they) buy this exact same thing if I went out shopping today?
- Would it cause a problem in my daily life I didn’t have this item?
- Is this item really worth the space it’s taking up in my house?
- Is this item adding value to my life right now?
- Do I absolutely love it or truly need it right now?
- Is there something else that can replace it?
- Is the result consistent with my vision for this space?
If there’s another one, or two or three just like it, you haven’t used it in a year and you don’t absolutely LOVE it, then it’s probably best sent to a new home.
If it’s still in excellent condition donate it. Remember this – Would You Buy It? If it’s a yes then donate it!
Have fun decluttering!